Last week we had the Primary Program in Sacrament Meeting and my impatience with the chaos reminded me of why I am not an elementary school teacher. I can't handle that many little ones at the same time. (Although sometimes my freshman Algebra 1 classes aren't much better...)
So as we approached another weekend and I pulled out the lesson manual to start preparing, I was filled with anxiety again. What should we do to keep this particular lesson entertaining? How do we control the crazy boys that run around, hit each other, and won't calm down? How do we invite the Spirit into that atmosphere? My anxiety led me to feel a strong dislike for these kids.
Oh the humbling experience that I had as we entered the Primary room today. I walked in thinking, "Just get through the next two hours and then you don't have to do this again for another two weeks." (We actually team teach with another couple so that we can still attend Priesthood/RS every other week.) I couldn't help but smile back when the kids greeted me with huge smiles on their faces. My feelings of dislike melted away when one of our cute little girls sidled up next to me. I told her that I loved her pink dress and that pink is my favorite color. She whispered, "It's my favorite too." A few minutes later, she took took my arm and wrapped it around her waist and cuddled me through the rest of sharing time.
I asked the Primary President after church if she knew the reason behind this behavior. I was told that this girl's mother had a baby last week and she was probably just looking for a little extra love and attention. This made me realize that my real calling is not to teach a lesson but to love little children with a perfect love (Moroni 8:17).

Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.
Matt 18:10
Matt 18:10

Oh my. Reading this made me teary. (Probably because I experience this EVERY day with Madison- she often frustrates me to no end, but all she has to do is look at me and hold her arms out and I just melt.) Thanks so much for the reminder to love even when it seems difficult! :)
ReplyDelete