I finished reading the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series yesterday. Here is my report:
While the books are somewhat juvenile and you can tell that they are written for a younger audience, the storyline was still fascinating. The first few books were pretty predictable (especially if you have a knowledge of Greek mythology), but by books 3, 4, and 5 I was anxious to find out what would happen.
The characters are lovable and endearing. You do care about what happens to most of them and you can relate to their feelings.
My only beef with the series is that it sometimes felt like a Harry Potter rip-off. The recommendations I got were, "If you like Harry Potter, you'll like these." It is true. I LOVE Harry Potter and I liked these. But it was frustrating to sometimes feel like I was reading a bad imitation of a beloved scene from Harry Potter (similar characters, scenarios, and dialogue).
In the end, I would recommend it to anyone in the 8-15 age range and any older readers who want a fun, light, sometimes comical series to enjoy.
While the books are somewhat juvenile and you can tell that they are written for a younger audience, the storyline was still fascinating. The first few books were pretty predictable (especially if you have a knowledge of Greek mythology), but by books 3, 4, and 5 I was anxious to find out what would happen.The characters are lovable and endearing. You do care about what happens to most of them and you can relate to their feelings.
My only beef with the series is that it sometimes felt like a Harry Potter rip-off. The recommendations I got were, "If you like Harry Potter, you'll like these." It is true. I LOVE Harry Potter and I liked these. But it was frustrating to sometimes feel like I was reading a bad imitation of a beloved scene from Harry Potter (similar characters, scenarios, and dialogue).
In the end, I would recommend it to anyone in the 8-15 age range and any older readers who want a fun, light, sometimes comical series to enjoy.

No comments:
Post a Comment